Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Travel Dilemmas Solved

Last month, I was ready to book 2 tickets to Paris using our Delta miles. One of my good friends from childhood lives there and she offered to host us (again) for a few days. The plan was simple, we would just spend one week in Paris and enjoy the City at a slow pace spending as very little money as possible. We were already making plans and looking at places that were close for short day trips. We even extended this simple trip into a 2 week trip to go to Berlin, Prague, and Budapest with my parents. They will be in Germany celebrating my dad's 70th birthday in May. The perfect excuse to visit new places.

When I went online to book our tickets, there were no more seats available for 60,000 miles. The same flights were 75,000 or 90,000 miles each. Sadly, we only had 60,000 miles each. As much as I've complained about American Airlines, their award program is the best! I found tickets to Europe for the same dates for 40,000 miles!

I was frustrated and disappointed until I saw tickets to Santiago, Chile available in May. Andre and I have never been to Chile. We booked our tickets on Sunday night! I have been reading Emily's and Kyle's blogs for a while to know that Chile is a beautiful Country that I want to visit. After all of those pictures it is time to see the places in person. We will be there in May for 11 days. Actually, we will be in Santiago for a couple of days and then we will fly to Buenos Aires for a few days. We will probably also make a short trip to Uruguay!!

Photo Credit: Wikipedia
When I started traveling Buenos Aires was number 1 in my list of places that I wanted to go. I have 2 childhood friends in Buenos Aires. We might stay with them a few nights. Most of my best friends live far away!! It is almost a karma that I have. Thanks to the internet is easy to stay in touch. When I finally get to travel where they live and hug them is the best feeling in the world. I expect that most of this trip will involve many bottles of Chilean and Argentinean wine and great food. I just have to start counting days and try to wait (patiently?!) 

14 comments:

  1. I still can't believe you just booked the tickets down here so quickly! Can't wait for you guys to get here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to meet u and rodolfo!! And let's not forget Lola, papito and machasa! You will have to take us to the best pisco sour place and also to all of the astrid&gaston places :)

      Delete
  2. I am so so sooooooooooooo excited for you. You will LOVE BsAS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to visit your second home!!!!! I'm sure that is amazing! I'm ready for lots of malbec

      Delete
  3. That sounds so awesome. Look on the bright side.. you don't need to worry about learning the local language! You guys are going to have a blast.

    We were just talking last night about how we need to start earning miles so we can travel like you guys. Tips??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bright side is that we will visit 3 new countries!!! We are so excited!!! I hate to force trips and I tried soooo long and so hard for Europe that it wasn't meant to be!

      I can give you a lot of tips!! I might have to write a post about it. There are many ways to accumulate miles that don't involve flying! I will work on it. You should take advantage of having a major airport hub for delta.

      Delete
    2. Yayy! Yeah, that's an amazing bright side! Super exciting. I can't wait to hear all about it and see your photos!

      And am now looking forward to that post :) That came up last night: we're lucky to have the Delta hub here. That's how we're flying direct to Quito, instead of battling tons of connections.

      Delete
    3. Do you have a skymiles number?? I wish that TPA was a hub for an airline! ANY airline that would fly to south america :(

      Delete
  4. Anonymous2/23/2012

    Que rico prima que vas a ir al sur!!! A mi papa le encantaba Santiago. Y bueno, seguro que tomaras muuuucho vino!
    Victoria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Siiii estoy Feliz!! Verdad q tu papa viajaba bastante y casi se van a vivir a argentina!!

      Delete
    2. Anonymous2/25/2012

      Luego comparamos notas sobre tus impresiones de BsAs jejeje! Yo viajo en dos semanas :)

      Delete
    3. jaja pero necesito consejos antes de ir!!

      Delete
  5. For some reason (actually, I'm pretty sure it's due to the Olympics this summer), awards flights to Europe are RIDICULOUS. Scott and I are looking at going over for vacation with miles--I have about 120,000 on three different airlines--and even among different FF programs, trying pretty much every gateway city in Europe and flying from NYC or ATL, we couldn't find anything from June through September that "cost" less than 100,000 miles RT. That's nearly what I paid for a biz class seat to Asia for our honeymoon! Ridiculous. Glad you found an alternative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow!!! I wouldn't pay 100,000 miles each for a flight to Europe!! Have you found a plan B for your vacation? I thought it was bc of the olympics but we were planning April-May not after June... I guess the early birds took anything available. Thanks for stopping by :)

      I love the alternative! I was hoping to go in the warmer months to visit the South of Chile but I will be back!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...